Assalamualaikum... hi everyone!.. Today is Pau day...hahaha... This is my first attempt at making 'Pau'... DON'T be deceived by the photos..the taste was fantastic!... Best in the world!.. Hahaha... Furthermore, i found it easier to make compared to buns... and don't worry if you don't have any 'Pau' flour.. because you can make this recipe by just using 'Tepung Gandum' or at here (we're using strong white flour). This recipe is from Yani at myresepi. Thanks yani. We love it very much!
Here is the recipe...
Ingredients ( 8 - 10 Pau's ):
- 300g flour (tepung gandum)
- 6g baking powder
- 2g salt
- 162g lukewarm water
- 6g dry yeast
- 30g castor sugar
- 18g vegetable fat
- Mix well flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix warm water with dried yeast and sugar together, stir until sugar dissolved.
- Pour no. 2 into no. 1. Knead until lightly smooth. (Mine, i just put all the ingredients in my bread machine and on the dough menu for kneading)
- Add in the vegetable fat. Knead until smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball.
- Cover the bowl with clear-film (plastic wrap) and leave in a warm place for about 30-40 minutes, or until doubled in bulk. If your house is cool (winter), put in the preheated oven 40C for 30 minutes.
- To test whether it's proved or not, sprinkle a bit of flour on top of the dough, press with your index finger, if it left a hole, then the dough was proved nicely.
- Knock it back (punch it down) gently and divide it into 8 to 10 balls. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Take one dough, roll out and put the filling in the centre and close it up. Repeat with the others.
- Half of my dough were filled with kaya and the other half with beef curry.
- Leave all the 'pau' for 5 minutes in warm place. Leave it to prove a bit.
- Steam with high heat for 15-20 minutes. When steaming, don't open the lid.