Watched the Olympic Closing Ceremony... Wow..It's so colourfull and full of adrenalin.. The gymnastic presentation were so spectacular. Dramatic presentations... I think Britain will have a tough time to match the Chinese opening and closing ceremony... alright, enough with the Olympic story.. Today, I want to share the kuih that I made recently.. I've been dreaming and craving of having kuih lopeh. I always wanted to make kuih lopeh but I had difficulty sourcing full size banana leaves, my hubby does not allow me to take the leaves of his precious dwarf banana plant.. eventually i came out with this idea and this is the recipe... it came just in time for Ramadhan...
Ingredients (For 4 people):
- 2 cups glutinous rice - washed
- 5 - 10 Pandan leaves - blend with some water and sieve (I used pandan paste)
- 1 cup coconut milk - *mix together
- 3/4 water - *mix together
- Grated coconut - mix together
- Salt - mix together
- Dark Muscovado sugar or Gula Melaka*
- Some water*
- Soaked the glutinous rice for 2 hours, drain. Place the glutinous rice in a baking tin or pyrex.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture into the soaked glutinous rice.
- Prepare the steamer.
- Steam the glutinous rice for 20 minutes or until cook.
- Leave it to cool a bit.
- Place a piece of aluminum / kitchen foil on top of the sushi mat.
- Place the warm glutinous rice onto the kitchen foil and roll it tightly.
- Tie the sushi mat tightly.
- Leave it to cool. I leave it overnight in the fridge and enjoy it for breakfast on the next day.
- To serve:
- Heat the muscovado sugar and some water until the sugar melted. Off the heat.
- Slice the log (thickness to your liking) and place it on the salted grated coconut.
- Covered it evenly. Repeat with the others.
- Served with the melted Muscovado sugar.