This was yesterday's project and for your knowledge this was my first attempt in making keropok/kerpok lekor.. Have been searching the recipe for months. So, here is how I make my Salmon keropok lekor. If you try this recipe please send me feedback.
Ingredients (make 6-8 sticks):
418 g canned pink salmon
200g tapioca flour (Sago flour is better)
Maggie ikan bilis /chicken stock
2-3 melting ice cubes (or cool water)
- Drained the water from the canned salmon, then put the flesh into the mixing bowl.
- Mashed the salmon with some salt, ikan bilis stock and the icu cubes.
- Pour half of the flour and knead.
- Pour a bit of cool water and adds small amount of flour at a time, knead again and repeat until form a dough. (you can test the texture and the taste by microwave a bit of dough)
- Shaped into 6-8 sticks.
- Put all the sticks in boiling water. Boil it until they float.
- Gently, lift the stick one at a time.
- Cover the sticks with some oil.
- Let it cool before you sliced it.
- Deep fry it.
- You can freeze it after step 9 if you want.
- Use more salt because the sticks will be boiled.
- Use more flour if you like the kerpok to be elastic but not too much (it will make the kerpok harder) . Adds small amount of flour at a time.
- Test the elasticity and the taste by microwaving a bit of the dough.
- You can add turmeric / smoked paprika if you like to reduce the strong salmon flavor.